Monday 15 October 2007

Life in Geneva - part one




So it's been one week and two days since I've arrived in Geneva. And a lot has happened... Here's what I did (not in order):

1. Got a cold, went to the pharmacy and realised that medicines should probably be shipped from Brussels in order to still stay affordable.
2. Pharmacists don't give you drugs easily here. You have to beg for them to give you spray that is actually stronger than mouth wash.
3. On the other hand, they are nice...
4. Come to think about it, everybody here is nice. Not in an American sleazy and hypocritical way, just genuinely nice. Everywhere.
5. Found myself an apartment.
6. With a bed :-), in a room, gorgeous, big, with internet, washing machine, garage for my bike, and more importantly in the middle of Geneva, two minutes from work
7. Why the heck did I take my bike then?
8. Oh yes.... Saturday the weather was gorgeous so went for a bike tour along the lake. Sunday weather equally gorgeous did the same thing, only bigger tour and took a book with me. Read my book lying on a bench next to the lake.
9. I know, you're all jealous
10. Actually, if I take my bike to work, I get there in one minute.
11. Since Friday I wake up one minute later. Yippee
12. Oh yes... nearly forgot. Started a new job.
13. I am now officially the communication officer for the access to essential medicines campaign.
14. Thank god, they are two others... too much work
15. Nobody leaves work before 7.00pm
16. So I don't – not yet anyway
17. Went out on Friday with Mallory and her friends
18. Very nice friends, good evening and I can walk home from Old town to my bed in 15 minutes... and it's along the lake.
19. First big party in Geneva on Saturday: Rugby - and England won.
20. Watching second semi-final on Sunday - oh my god South Africa is going to wipe us out
21. Some people told me Geneva was going to be boring. Well it's not super exciting but it's relaxing and some parties are happening, just not during the week.
22. oh and yes... took some pictures... here they are... enjoy

Ahhhh le Jet d'eau... difficult not to take its picture




My flat mate Ruud - he went for on Saturday around the lake, I followed with my bike. Here are some pictures of what we see when we run here...















Before that, in the morning, we explored the market... Very cheap vegetables and fruits. Sunday I made a pumpkin soup that was pretty good (although not as good as Amanda's).








And this is my street... Litteraly two minutes from the lake

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I established the world record of the fastest comment... But you could argue I kind of cheated.

(et non, je ne t'oblige pas à publier ça :-))

Anonymous said...

Hello,

J'aime bien ta façon de bloguer par points, c'est rigolo. Et en plus, c'est facile à commenter:

3. I wonder what you exactly means by "nice...".

3'. Et oui, je passe du français à l'anglais si je veux.

5. I also wonder how you did so fast... My current experience in Paris is quite different.

6. Especially an apartment with all these features.

15/16. I also have problems adapting to other people's schedules... ;-)

17/19. I am happy to hear it is actually possible to have parties in Geneva.

20. It is funny to note you identify yourself to England so much that you write "to wipe *us* out"...

22. J'ai déjà (un peu) visité Genève avant, et je n'avais pas vu le grand parc que tu montres... Pour le jet d'eau, j'avais fait une photo aussi, ça donne toujours bien. :-)

Et pour le "literally two minutes from the lake", tu ne mens pas, j'avais regardé sur Mappy il y a quelques jours!

Bisous,

Gilles

Anonymous said...

ouah, je veux voir ce marché et ta rue et tout en fait, cela a l'air tellement relaxe et sympa; tes photos sont magnifiques et ton texte super rigolo en effet!!
G. I want to visit you!!(next week on Friday!!oupie, je compte les jours

Anonymous said...

http://www.bradmans.com/europe/geneva/nightlife
Couple of places to check out before I land in a couple of months... Take care! (oh, and Dumbledore is gay)

Anonymous said...

http://www.bradmans.com/europe/geneva/nightlife

couple of places to check out before I get there... Take care! (oh, and Dumbledore is gay)

Anonymous said...

Pfff ... je viens tous les jours et pas de nouveau post ... on veut des nouvelles nous !!! Gros bisous

Anonymous said...

Euh ... c'est Annick et pas Anniock ...